THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (VG+/VG+) 1st Press Harvest A2/B2 Solid Prism UK 1973Pink Floyd
THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOON (VG+/VG+) 1st Press Harvest A2/B2 Solid Prism UK 1973
Unique and rare 1st UK pressing with solid blue triangle center
Pink Floyd – The Dark Side Of The Moon
Label: Harvest – SHVL 804
Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Gatefold Sleeve
Released: 24 Mar 1973
Media: Very Good Plus (VG+)
Sleeve: Very Good Plus (VG+)
Totally original and complete.
Comes with 2 stickers and posters. VG+ condition.
The 43th greatest album of all time, according to Rolling Stone.
Price will go up !!!!
This is the original form of the release, it has solid light blue prism LP picture labels with silver lettering, later forms have an empty prism. It has a gatefold sleeve, and there are three known variations of the original blue-tinged sleeve - see below.
There are 2 systems for track numbering on the release. The cover lists the titles A1 to B5 (used in this submission). The labels however number the tracks from (a) to (i) so, for example, "Breathe" is listed as "(a)(II)" on the label but "2" on the cover (see images).
Originally came with 2 posters and 2 stickers.There are 2 systems for track numbering on the release. The cover lists the titles A1 to B5 (used in this submission). The labels however number the tracks from (a) to (i) so, for example, "Breathe" is listed as "(a)(II)" on the label but "2" on the cover (see images).
Light crackle in background especially in the quieter sections. Correct stickered midnight blue sleeve and black poly lined inner. Sleeve has a slight blemish on the back and some light wear.
The following is a guide to identifying all of the elements that make up the first pressing:
1. The label has a solid light blue prism. Subsequent pressings have a blue glowing inner edge prism with the centre black.
2. 'The Gramophone Co.' text starts at 10 o'clock on label.
3. A2/B2 matrix in deadwax of run out groove.
4. Thick heavyweight vinyl believed by some to be the 'finest' and most true encapsulation of this historical recording as the first pressing was pressed direct from the original masterplate. "These 1st pressings were straight from the masters and nothing even gets close to them today. They play with a deep clear warm clarity and have to be heard to be believed!".
5. There is a distinct bluish tint/tinge in the black ink of the cover.
6. There are three known original sleeve variations. 1. The right front opening of the gatefold cover is sealed with the two sides glued together. 2. The right front opening of the gatefold cover is sealed with a fold over flap that is glued inside the opening. 3. The right front opening of the gatefold cover is not sealed. A known 2/2 matrix, 1 mother, G stamper copy came with, an unglued and non-'folded in' sleeve at time of release, which hints at the possibility that very first pressings did not come with glued flaps, which is where the poster and stickers were located.
7. Inner sleeve is a distinctive polythene lined die cut black semi matt paper with white printed text stating 2 patent numbers bottom left [112555/1072844] and 'MADE IN GREAT BRITAIN' bottom right.
8. Posters and stickers were printed on paper stock that has a rough texture (later pressings used paper that was gloss laminated).
9. Stickers have printed backs with diagonal lines across them, and the words 'Fasson' 'FasPrint' and 'Crack-Back'.
Barcode and Other Identifiers
Matrix / Runout (Stamped Side A): SHVL 804 A-2
Matrix / Runout (Stamped Side B): SHVL 804 B-2
Matrix / Runout (Side A: Mother number at 9 o'clock): 1
Matrix / Runout (Side A: Stamper at 3 o'clock): G
Matrix / Runout (Side B: Mother number at 9 o'clock): 1
Matrix / Runout (Side B: Stamper at 3 o'clock): G
A1 Speak To Me
A3 On The Run
A5 The Great Gig In The Sky
B2 Us And Them
B3 Any Colour You Like
B4 Brain Damage
Recorded at Abbey Road Studios, London between June 1972 and January 1973.
Artwork [Sleeve Art, Stickers Art] – George Hardie N.T.A.
Bass, Vocals, Synthesizer [Vcs3], Effects [Tape], Lyrics By – Roger Waters
Design [Sleeve], Photography By – Hipgnosis
Engineer – Alan Parsons
Engineer [Assistant] – Peter James
Keyboards, Vocals, Synthesizer [Vcs3] – Richard Wright
Mixed By [Supervised] – Chris Thomas
Percussion, Effects [Tape] – Nick Mason
Producer, Music By – Pink Floyd
Vocals, Guitar, Synthesizer [Vcs3] – David Gilmour
Written-By – Gilmour (tracks: A2 to A4, B3), Mason (tracks: A1, A4, B3), Wright (tracks: A2, A4, A5, B2, B3), Waters (tracks: A2 to A4, B1, B2, B4, B5)